10.04.2007

Hey with a Z

Walking through the neighborhood the other day, I called out to Hayes who had spontaneously bolted in the opposite direction of where I was headed. I continued to shout his name until his motor-feet slowed to a stop.

An elderly woman walking on the other side of the street, crossed over clutching her cane firmly in one hand. She came directly up to me and said, “If you keep calling him 'hey!' he’ll never learn to listen to you.”

“Excuse me?” I asked genuinely confused.

“Call him by his proper name if you don’t want him to ignore you,” she made her point clearer this time.

“His name is Hayes,” I replied.

I couldn't help but take a tone with the whole scenario.

Yeah, maybe I should have added a thank you since she was only sharing her expert advice with me on how to be a good mom. But for that reason exactly, I decided on a fake smile and a 'mind your own business' under my breath instead.

No comments: