11.02.2007

How I live

One of those shows featuring celebrities and some of the things they just can’t live without recently caught my attention. You know, the kind where the rich and famous run down a list of expensive, inaccessible, and borderline ridiculous items they’ve grown accustomed to on their rise to the top? Think 1500 thread count, 100% Egyptian cotton bed linens…all stark white.

Sure, all of our dreams would be sweeter with some added little luxuries. But watching someone enjoy them who need not worry about keeping linens bright or long lasting is slightly painful. And on a more pertinent note, why should celebrities have all the shine?

Here are a few things I just can’t live without (in no precise order):




Reusable bottles that are safe and not plastic are good for my health and the environment. I carry the sexy, black one filled with water. Hayes prefers the sippy cup version.



Homemade bread and a pat of butter is the quintessential cold weather comforter. This recipe for pumpkin muffins is fast, easy, and tastes great as is. But feel free to get fancy with it and add whatever you like. Hayes takes his star-shaped with raisin smiley faces.

1 ½ c sugar, 1 ¾ c flour, 1tsp baking soda, 1tsp allspice (can be substituted for ½ tsp nutmeg and ½ tsp cardamom), 1 tsp cinnamon, ½ tsp salt, 2 large eggs or egg substitute, ¼ c oil, ¼ c water, 1 c canned pumpkin.
Preheat oven at 350 degrees, spray/butter pan, combine all dry ingredients and mix, combine all liquid ingredients and mix, combine dry and liquid ingredients and mix well, pour into pan, bake for 25 minutes, check with toothpick. Makes 12 muffins.





…Perfect for cold, windy mornings. A little slather goes a long way on Hayes’s cheeks and hands.
…Perfect for everyday pampering. Yes, I said every day (as in of the week).





The book I carry everywhere I go and consult the most, a gift from my mom—a true lady. Maybe I’ll pass it on to Hayes’s future partner. On second thought, hopefully I won’t have to.





My Colby 1GB MP3 clip player is tiny and holds up to 17 hours of music—enough Joan Jett on the train for me and The Laurie Berkner Band on long walks in the stroller for Hayes.



…And speaking of keeping Hayes occupied and technologically astute, Noggin's website is a plethora of smart, interactive toddler play. Hayes grasped the simpler activities in no time, leaving more time for me to...well, do me.

No comments: