9.22.2008

Last Days of Summer

Sure, it's Back-to-School time. But since my three year old doesn't go to real school, it only means that the feeling of summer being over is upon me before it has even officially come to an end. And since I am easily persuaded, it takes no time at all for me to get caught up in the hype of having to buckle down and get back to business. So I find myself desperately trying to squeeze the last bit of summer fun into these unofficial last days...and failing miserably.

Yesterday, on a whim, Hayes and I boarded the ferry to Staten Island for the first time. We took a stroll through Clover Lakes Park to rent a row boat that would be ours for an hour-long ride along the lake. It was going to be lots of fun. But when we got there, the rental office was closed. The day before was the last day of their summer schedule. Phooey!

Today, I was back in work mode with Hayes in tow. I whizzed right by a playground at Central Park while rushing to the bank before it closed. But I thought to turn around before getting on the train to let Hayes get the most out of these last days of summer. But he had only fifteen minutes to play. And I watched my G-Shock like a hawk so that we would not be late. At a quarter-after, we were headed back to the train. But when we got to the bank, it had just closed. I felt awful. Because for the second time, I let another summer day fly by without allowing Hayes to make the most of it.

No comments: