11.19.2008

Deep

I'm not one of those moms who thinks my child is a genius. However, I can say with all seriousness that he is more than just a little deep to be only three years old.

This morning, while shoving spoonfuls of cereal and milk into his mouth, and missing most of the time, he asked me what I want to be when I grow up. And I must admit, the question really got me thinking. I told him that I want to be a homeowner and an early retiree. Of course, he accepted this response without any further explanation because he's three and, clearly, not a genius.

But all day today, while I biked to work and home again, settled into my work-from-home projects, walked to pick Hayes up from school, enjoyed watching him take Karate class, spent the evening with close friends, went to a dance class, came home for dinner, and settled us in for the night, I thought that in many ways, I am the person I always wanted to be when I grow up. My life is personally satisfying in a lot of ways. But still, there is more to see and do. And I suppose there always will be.

So, did a three year old just make me realize that I still have a lot of growing up to do?

Deeeeeep!

No comments: