9.29.2008

Happy First Days?

Flash back to your fondest memory of the first day of school.

My point exactly.

Much can be said about first days of school everywhere, but has anyone ever gleaned a fond memory of even one of them? Well, moms have it twice as hard. We're not only haunted by our own childhood memories of the first day of school, but we experience it all over again every time our children do. So, finally, one sure thing mothers and children can unite over; the dreaded first day of school. Boo-hoo! Let the tears flow!

Today, I heard from a dear friend who took her daughter Marley to her first day of kindergarten this morning. Unfortunately, I had exactly five minutes to help calm my friend's frantic nerves. Of course she felt awful for having dropped Marley off with a bunch of total strangers (even if they are professional teachers and caregivers). And not being able to stay just a few minutes longer with Marley for having to rush off to work definitely made everything worse.

Since I already made this point in a recent blog entry, I won't belabor the obvious. But I have to admit my newfound knowlege; that the dreaded first day of school is never ending for us moms. We will always feel frantic, just like our children. Only we will feel it twice as much.

No comments: