10.16.2008

OMG! I'm Like So Totally Old!

I'm an eighties baby. There's no denying it. I have fond memories of swatch watches and Pac-Man. I still listen to Joan Jett and Pat Benatar. I had friends with beepers. And I actually believe primetime television was better 20 years ago than it is today. All this makes me old school. Fortunately, being old school is alright for now because it's cool and retro. But one day, having grown up in the eighties is going to make me just plain old. And no one reminds me of this more than my darling Hayes.

I wish it were simply Hayes's deft manipulation of a laptop that is making me notice my age. Or that the words email, blog and text are already verbs in his three-year-old lexicon. But these are not the reasons why I am suddenly feeling dated.

Over the past few weeks, I have heard Hayes refer to someone he didn't know as a dude. He called his friend a maniac, and answered one of my annoying questions with "Uh...Hellooooo?...Duh!" And that is enough to count me among the elderly, as far as I'm concerned. Because as much as button-up cotton shirts and classic sneakers might be making a comeback, eighties vernacular is not. But, whatever dude.

No comments: