10.22.2008

Planning Postcard Moments

What's the saying about the best laid plans? Something with mice and men, and things inevitably going wrong.

Well, all day today, I was excited about a plan I had for Hayes and I to enjoy the afternoon in simple leisure. I decided that since our bicycle tires needed air, Hayes and I would walk to the local bike shop to fill up. Then ride through the neighborhood's tree-lined streets to the park where we would ride some more. Sounds like an adorable postcard image. Well, it wasn't.

The first upset was noticing that the training wheels on Hayes's bike were no longer attached to his bicycle. (They were recently removed when he wanted to practice riding in the park like the big boys). And though I try, I'm not good with tools. But I slapped the third and forth wheel on the bike as best I could, shoved the...wrench, is it?...in my back pocket and was out the door. So, of course, I spent the entire walk to the bike shop stopping every couple of blocks to tighten the...bolt, is it?...on the wheels so as to keep Hayes from falling and knocking his teeth out. Not cute.

The second upset was realizing that when we left the bike shop, wheels finally full of air, there was nowhere for Hayes and I to ride our bicycles together down the beautiful, tree-lined streets to the park. Because we live in a city that doesn't allow adults to ride on the sidewalk. I would have had to ride my bike in the street. Not cute--or safe.

And the final upset was watching Hayes ditch me and his bicycle for the jungle-gym and slide once we finally arrived at the park.

Not exactly the postcard moment I had planned. But here's a totally unrelated melancholy song from Audiotransparent about the best laid plans that I hope you like as much as I do...

No comments: